Thursday, August 17, 2017

Fort McClary Near Kittery, Maine

We left our RV camp in York Harbor, Maine, for a day trip to see what we could find and ran into Fort McClary.
 Here's a little info for you:
For more than 275 years, a fort has protected the approaches to the Piscataqua River at the southern gateway to Kittery. The most recent of these is Fort McClary, named for New Hampshire native Major Andrew McClary, who died at the Revolutionary War's Battle of Bunker Hill. Fort McClary is one of the state's most important historic forts. It demonstrates how military architecture and technology changed over the centuries.
The buildings on the site are from different periods. This shows how it was upgraded and modified to meet new defensive needs. The fort was manned during five wars: The Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I. Yet like most other Maine forts, it saw little conflict.
 So I'll just let you look for yourself.

 These are huge blocks that were brought in many years ago to complete the fort but here they lie. Still.
 I was not going down there! I ain't afraid of no ghost! :)
Poor little Willow had walked her little legs off so I had to hold her so she could rest. Of course I didn't mind at all.
 After touring the fort we hopped back into Itsy and traveled back to our campsite.

Happy trails,
Shelia :)

5 comments:

  1. I was there about 20 years ago-actually the weekend that Princess Di died. It was a lovely spot but LOTS of walking (which I needed, of course). lol I am glad you are getting some good outings in the Kiki! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great site to visit. Pretty area and yes it does look like a lot of walking.

    Enjoy your trip.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to travel along with you. How is sweet Willow doing with the travel? She is adorable and I know you are happy to have her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to travel many places and trying to fulfill by thoughts. What a beautiful place to visit. Enjoy the trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All pictures are beautiful and all perfectly photographed bloom tattoos

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.