Saturday, June 17, 2017

Waco, Texas

We arrived in Waco, Texas, Friday, September 2, 2016 and stayed three nights.We lived here from 1986 to 1996 in an area called Woodway. If you ever watch Fixer Upper on HGTV you've been in our old neighborhood before.
 This is the park we stayed in, the I-35 RV Park. This was right off Interstate 35 but it wasn't so noisy because it was hot hot hot and we had to keep the air conditioning going all night.
 There was a little entrance booth but no one was ever in there. But this place was all Texased up and as cute as could be. It cost $30 a night. Now this was something...there was a little cafe on the grounds and the folks prepared breakfast for all of the campers each morning! Wasn't that nice and it was free! I didn't take my camera the first morning and was going to bring it back the next but when we got there the next morning there was a note on the door that the little lady who cooks had had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital! They asked for prayers and we certainly prayed for her. I hope she's home now and doing well.
 Here is Kiki and Itsy getting all set up. My job is getting the inside ready...closing all of the window blinds, turning the fridge and electricity to the right buttons, and turning the passenger seat around. We were parked under a nice shade tree although it didn't help much because it was hot! Did I say it was HOT??? Texas in the summer is hot, y'all!
 As you can see, the park wasn't very full. It was nice with a laundry and bath house. The folks were very nice and helpful. The only drawback was it was quite a ways from town. It was 10 miles from Baylor and then more to Woodway where we lived. We lived here for 10 years from 1986 - 1996.
 Since we left, they had built a new stadium at Baylor.
 Here I go getting a little sad...there is a little pet cemetery outside of Bellmead (a little town by Waco) and we had our little Boston Terrier buried here. Her name was Sugar and she was such a pretty little Boston and so dainty. She was 15 years old and was loved like my child. So needless to say we needed to go and visit her little grave site. Just read these sweet signs below that are on each side of the gate as you go into the cemetery.

 Okay! Now we needed some nourishment and they have built and In 'n Out Burger place right across from Baylor and we were in hog heaven! We love In 'n Out! I should have taken a snap of the burgers but we ate them too fast! ;) There's George in line putting in our order.
Now don't slap me! We drove by, yes, just drove by Magnolia Market! It was on Sunday and it was all closed. It's right down the street from 1st Baptist in Waco where we attended when we first moved to Waco. You know, I don't ever remember seeing those silos! I guess we could have come back but our main mission was to visit our son and daughter-in-law and spend as much time with them as we could.
Now here is George standing by Itsy who has taken us to the Colin Street Bakery! Now if you like fruitcakes you may have heard of them. They do make the most wonderful juicy fruitcakes you've ever put in your mouth. The main bakery is located in Corsicana, Texas, but they have built a wonderful one here with a gift shop and very nice lunch counter. We restrained ourselves and did not open the tin with the cake in it until we got back home. Now we bought some macaroons and we ate them all! Just sayin'!
 Well, we certainly couldn't leave town without driving by our old house. Now it made us feel good as the folks were taking such good care of it. Did I put those red arrows there on the right? I don't think so. I'd better call the show "My Haunted House" and have them visit the owners! :)

Bye Waco and we'll be moving on...

Happy trails,
Shelia ;)


1 comment:

  1. Waco, why yes I'm familiar with Fixer Upper:). In n Out, big deal here in Az, and California too. Yummy! Very happy that you visited your son and saying hi to your sweet Sugar.
    Texas is huge and hot and humid!
    I'm realizing now your trip is more of visiting your past and seeing family too.
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.