Saturday, June 17, 2017

Reminiscing

This post is completely a little walk down memory lane for me. So if you'd like to come along, I'd love it.
 First of all we drove by the little house I grew up in ~ 1951 Godfrey Avenue. I was born in 1951 and we moved into this little house when I was three. The shingles on the outside were a soft green then and there wasn't the big metal carport then or the chain link fence. We did have those metal awnings but the strips were green. I wonder if those could be the same ones. My daddy always kept the nicest lawn and shrubs. He would have been disappointed to see it looking like this.
 The little house had three bedrooms and that's my little bedroom window there. In the old blurry black and white you see my little mother standing on the porch and the porch post is the very same. That must have been some great wood to have lasted over 60 years! Of course it could have been replaced.
Fort Payne was once known as the sock capital of the states. There were hosiery mills on every corner. Now this one was know as The Big Mill, W. B. Davis Hosiery Mill. This is where my mother and daddy met. It's been closed for many years now and before my little mother joined daddy in heaven, we brought her back to Fort Payne and the mill had an antique store on the first floor. We were allowed to walk all through the mill and mother told her stories and showed us where she and daddy worked. It was special. They still had a plaque on the wall honoring their employees who fought in World War II. There was my uncle and daddy's names. Memories.
Horror! This is the hospital where I was born. It was just abandoned and falling down! It looked so sad. I wonder why they just didn't tear it down.
 But a smile spread all over my face when we drove by the old elementary school where I attended! It looked wonderful! Williams Avenue Elementary School. I peeped in the door and snapped a picture of the hall where I walked up and down for many years. The top right picture with the school's sign, the little yellow head is the exact place I would stand waiting for my ride after school. There was a lady who had a station wagon with three rows of seats and you could pay to be on her route. I rode with her and other kids for years as my mother and daddy went to work too early to get me to school.
 It's so hard to go back home sometimes. This was my aunt Gladys' house. It was such a pretty old white two story. There were trees in front and a lovely fence hedge. She had a wonderful garden and made the best pickles you've ever eaten. She was a widow and had no children and she adored me. I adored her right back. I would spend the night with her on Fridays sometimes and she would make sure she had a six pack of ice cold little bottles of coke in the fridge for me. She'd make melt in your mouth biscuits and creamed corn from her garden. She had cable TV before anyone else I knew! I made many beautiful memories in that house. Makes me sad to see how it looks now.
My daddy's only brother was the oldest of eight siblings and my daddy was the youngest. So when I was born, I was a hit! :) My uncle and aunts spoiled me. The above building was a box company where they made, wait for it - boxes! ;) I remember getting to visit him some Saturdays and he would let me sit on this huge lift and then he would made it go up and down. He supplied us with great boxes for years. Memories.
See the little yellow house? Well, as I said earlier my mother and daddy went to work around 6:30 am and they would drop me off here at this little house. The lady who kept me for years was named Ally. I never got in the yard but played my tiny socks off on the porch. When I stayed with Ally the house next door was a little store. For a quarter I could go over and buy a bottled coke, a piece of candy and maybe a coloring book or paper dolls. Time have changed haven't they?
 Well lets take a drive down the main street of town. I see so many stores have been boarded up. There's not much left like it used to be. I remember going to the five and dime and mother buying some candy and we'd go back out and sit in the car and watch folks walk by. We did this quite often on Saturday afternoons. Sounds funny doesn't it? We weren't the only ones to do this either. Times have certainly changed.
 I see they are still using the old theater! My cousin was in a band in high school and they played here on Saturday afternoons. So much happened on Saturday afternoons.
The tall Confederate soldier in the city park.
Now we could not leave downtown Fort Payne without seeing The Boys! The country group Alabama are all from here and they have done so much to help the little town of Fort Payne. For years they had a June Jam at the high school and donated most of the money to the town. That's was long after I was gone.

Okie dokie, if you stuck around to tour my little home town with me, I thank you! Lots of memories were made here but time marches on.

Happy trails,
Shelia :)

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post and your trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is bittersweet to see how your old home, school, factories, etc are bit rundown, but the sweet memories and that your mom was able to visit one more time:).
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.