Friday, September 23, 2016

More Museums

Well, we did go through a couple more museums while in Ottawa! We were amazed when we saw this huge, and I mean huge spider outside of the National Gallery of Canada. Glad spiders don't really grow this big!
 I was curious and had to find out something about this spider.
"The bronze spider statue called Maman, it is the last of six spiders cast by renowned Franco-American artist Louise Bourgeois as a tribute to her mother. The statue carries 26 white marble eggs in its underbelly. It was created in 1999 and cast in 2003. Bourgeois was born in France in 1911 and has been working as an artist for nearly 70 years. She immigrated to the United States in 1938"
The gallery is filled with a varied collection of paintings, drawings, sculpture and photographs, mostly Canadian, but has some from American and European artists. Now the museums building is just gorgeous with its shape and glass.

 Then we headed to the Canadian War Musuem. The Canadian War Museum is Canada’s national museum of military history and one of the world’s most respected museums for the study and understanding of armed conflict.
" The Museum’s exhibition galleries and public programs have been designed to emphasize the human experience of war. It presents the military history of Canada from earliest times to present day, as well as Canada’s history of honoring and remembrance. Each gallery highlights defining moments in Canada’s military history and the ways in which past events have shaped the nation."
I was very puzzled why Canada would have Hitler's car! So, again I had to do some research to find out:
"Captured as war booty by the US Army in 1945, this Mercedes Grosse 770 was one of six armored limousines used by Adolf Hitler, making it one of the most popular exhibits at the Canadian War Museum (CWM) in Ottawa. Originally thought to be one of Herman Goring's staff cars, subsequent research revealed that Mercedes had delivered this vehicle to Hitler's personal staff in 1940. Interestingly, when a researcher from the CWM contacted Mercedes in 1970, the company did not reply to requests for information about the car. "I have noticed a reluctance in many Germans to admit they were around at all during the Second World War, and have a feeling that the same is true of this company", he wrote. The CWM had to get the Canadian Ambassador to Germany to make a formal request before Mercedes would cooperate. The US Army took possession of the car, and later shipped it back stateside to the Aberdeen Proving Ground, where it sat in a warehouse for 9 years, eventually to be sold at government auction to an American collector, who later sold it to a businessman from Quebec, who in turn donated it to the Canadian War Museum (for a healthy tax write off) in 1970. It is unknown if Sergeant Azara was rewarded for his efforts - if not, at least he had a great war story to tell" 
Please know I'm not trying to glorify this car on exhibit, I was just shocked that it would be here in this museum. That's enough of that.

Well, if you'd stayed with me this long I know you're tired of museuming and need a little bit of rest! I'm almost finished with this trip and until tomorrow...

Happy trails,
Shelia ;)

1 comment:

  1. I would have been shocked to see that car there too! An unusual exhibit for sure. Those spider sculptures by Louise Bourgeois always scare me because I am terrified of spiders and these are just too creepy for me! Incredible work, just not for me! xx

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.