Saturday, July 23, 2016

A Little Trip To Bennington, Vermont

Kiki took George and I took a little trip up the road to Bennington, Vermont on the Fourth of July, 2016.
 Bennington is a pretty little place and we've been here quite a few times.
 We were driving around and saw this lovely old church and decided to stop and look inside.



 Isn't it lovely? It's a working church today and we met a couple of little ladies who attend. In the olden days the individual boxes belonged to a family and they would sit each Sunday in their boxes. Today folks just sit where they want to.
 There was an old cemetery right next to the church and I just love to tour old cemeteries.


Really a tranquil place under the trees. We were walking along and then I saw this...
 okie dokie! So we followed the signs to see where Robert Frost was laid to rest.
 I found out that although he was not a member of the church, he read his poem, The Black Cottage, at the re-dedication of the church in 1937, after its restoration to the original interior design. At that time, the state legislature designated the church as "Vermont's Colonial Shrine" and the cemetery, "Vermont's Sacred Acre." Frost bought two lots in 1940 for a family burial place.
 I really don't know why there were coins tossed on the gravestone. Underneath his name it reads
"I had a lover's quarrel with the world."
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
 Robert Frost

Happy trails,
Shelia ;)

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful church and cemetery. I, also love to visit them. Looks like your guys had a nice visit in Vermont.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place. I'd love to visit that area, Shelia. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelia, such a beautiful spot to find. Love the church. So pretty inside and would make a beautiful church wedding. Have fun on your travels. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelia,
    What an exquisite Church, dear friend!
    I'm not sure about the coins, something about letting family know that someone visited your loved ones grave in your absence?
    Thank you for taking me along on your adventures!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. A coin left on a headstone let’s the deceased soldier’s family know that somebody stopped by to pay their respect. Leaving a penny means you visited.
    A nickel means that you and the deceased soldier trained at boot camp together. If you served with the soldier, you leave a dime. A quarter is very significant because it means that you were there when that soldier was killed.


    Read More: What Do The Coins Left On Military Tombstones Mean? | http://mix106radio.com/what-do-the-coins-left-on-military-tombstones-mean/?trackback=tsmclip

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it, the church and the graves. Beauty indeed. Kim above explained the coins glad I saw it. Nice post thank you for sharing it. Happy Sunday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.