Sunday, July 26, 2015

York Harbor, Maine

Well, we were just about to head back to New York by the way of the Strawberry Bank museum outside of Portsmouth, Maine, as we'd been there many years ago and you know, we wanted to relive old memories. Well, plans are meant to be interrupted.
We ended up in York Harbor, Maine, right on the edge of the world! I love this stuff.
If just looked so beautiful and we saw a sign that said "Libby's Oceanside RV Camp". Sounded good to us so that's where we sat up camp in space # 6. It was pricey, $100 a night to be overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Well, we decided that's just where we needed to be. 
 It was truly beautiful. The wind was slightly blowing constantly and the waves crashed against the rocks all night. It was a wonderful sound.
There was a lighthouse in the distance so we hopped into Itsy to find out more about it. We found out this was called the Cape Neddick "Nubble" Lighthouse.

Picture The "Nubble" is a small, rocky island a short distance off the eastern point of Cape Neddick, about two miles north of the entrance to the York River and York Harbor. In 1602, explorer Bartholomew Gosnold met with local Indians on the island and dubbed it "Savage Rock."

The placement of a lighthouse on the Nubble had been recommended by many local mariners since 1807. An 1837 proposal was rejected on the grounds that there were already enough lights in the vicinity. Even after the wreck of the bark Isidore in 1842, north of the Nubble near Bald Head Cliff, it still took nearly four more decades before the lighthouse was established. The Isidore, according to legend, still reappears as a ghost ship with a phantom crew.    source

 After discovering the lighthouse, it was time for some ice cream! This little shop had just what we were looking for.
Driving through the little streets of York. Charming, don't you think? After being put to sleep by the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks, we woke up refreshed and ready to head back home.
 Some pretty houses that I snapped as we drove by.
 We went a little bit out of our way to Ogunguit, Massachusetts. We were here late last fall and loved the little town. It's just down the road from Kennebunkport.
The Yellow Monkey! This is where we stayed and we relived those memories again! Then it was really time to head back to New York. Hope you've enjoyed this little trip with me.

Happy trails,
Shelia ;)

19 comments:

  1. Shelia, These are the most beautiful pictures. I can almost hear the waves! The architecture is so lovely and what a cute ice cream shop! My late mom had always wanted to visit this area in Autumn. I'm sorry we never made it but your photos were a joy to behold tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been catching up on your adventures in little Kiki. What a wonderful holiday. I've really enjoyed the snaps and looking around this corner of your vast country. Itsy certainly makes a difference to what you can do, doesn't she? Long may you both be able to enjoy your trips out and about.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelia, what a fabulous trip. The spot you stayed was perfect looking out over the ocean. What an adventure to sleep hearing the waves in the background. The town looks so quaint and charming. Love the homes and the light house is beautiful. You captured a great shot. Oh that ice cream shoppe is dangerous. It would be one to stop in for sure!! Thanks for sharing the fun and sights. Kiki is taking you on a world of adventure. Blessings and have a great week. Hugs, cm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow $100 a night! The most we ever paid was around $35 a night but that was while back. Love the pictures of the houses. I like seeing the different architecture of other areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip. I love it! Everything is so beautiful! WOW! Camping ain't cheap no more is it? But sometimes.....it's worth every penny. Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelia, I have really enjoyed catching up and reading your latest Kiki posts! I love Maine, amd had the pleasure of visting twice last year. First time for me! Love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great little trip! A $100 a night for a Million Dollar View! Well worth it!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your travel blog, Shelia!

    I love Bar harbor - and been there thrice.

    One of my Mom's favorite places in the world was Kennebunkport, too.

    You certainly know the neat places to visit up there!

    Hugs!



    ReplyDelete
  9. The Inns remind me of the TV show Newhart! So charming. I also loved seeing all those rocks, because I don't have rocks where I live. Only sand. L-O-T-S of sand!
    Have fun exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your travel posts! I'm so happy you get to enjoy our beautiful country. Someday when my husband and I retire I look forward to traveling more...especially to National Parks. Please keep the posts coming. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri! Thank you so much for popping in to my travel blog.
      Be a sweetie,
      Shelia ;)

      Delete
  11. We went to Strawbery Banke last year! It was really interesting and well worth a visit if you get to go again sometime. It looks as though your alternative was very beautiful though and incredibly picturesque!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pictures. I love traveling in senic little towns like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shelia, what a wonderful trip. I haven't been to Maine for years, and its fun to see your photos. I'd love hearing the sound of the ocean at night. America has such wonderful variety. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maine is indeed wonderful. My experience with York Harbor was in mid-October many moons ago. We took photos of closed signs on everything from the amusement park to the cute tea room! But Nubble -- ah, that remains a lovely memory, brought fresh from your fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this blog Shelia and all your trips look like so much fun, including this one. Maine really is beautiful.

    I can't believe Stephen King's house is right in town! That gate was something else lol

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Y'all are having the best time ever! I'm so happy for you. After seeing your photos and reading about York, ME, I'm putting this on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catching up on reading my favorite blogs. Wanted to let you know I just love Ogunquit! We have been there a few times its just a charming place! Glad to see you have been enjoying your summer!
    Take care
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your travel photographs. I have not toured the northeast...so I am enjoying a virtual tour! Sheila

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.