Saturday, December 21, 2013

It's About Time!


Well, I thought it was way over due to post about Kiki again.
Some of you may know my little mother passed away in October, she was 90 and lived a long full life. So Kiki's blog has taken a back seat for a bit and it's time to change that.
 We had mother's funeral here in Galveston at the retirement home's chapel where she lived and she was taken to Odessa, Texas, to be buried beside my daddy.
 My daughter and little grandson, Camp, flew down to be with us.
We had never seen little Camp as he was just 5 weeks old. You can see the joy on our faces to get to meet him and give him some grandparent love.
After mother's funeral, we all hopped into Kiki and headed out for the drive to Odessa
 Little Camp really did well in Kiki. His little baby carrier was strapped into the seat right behind the driver's side. Here is hubby loving on that little boy! But no, I'm not driving...we're stopped. I don't get to get behind the wheel too often...hubby is always going to 'let me drive' but somehow it just never happens. :)
 Okay, I guess you've all heard of 'Friday Night Lights' - the show about Permian High School football in Odessa. Well, I didn't attend Permian but their rival, Odessa High School. It still looks so much like it did when I graduated in 1970. You see that little ledge? Well, I used to sit there with my girlfriends after lunch almost every day until it was time to go to class.
 We had to drive around town and look at the changes, as we hadn't been back in years. Many jack rabbits all around town looking so spiffy!
We also ate at a local bar-b-que place called 'Johnny's'. Man that was some good food.
Our daughter was born in Odessa and we drove by the places we had lived and where mother and daddy had lived.

Then we were back on the road again. We had to pull over quite a bit for our daughter to tend to the baby, with all the help grandma could give. We were getting tired and hungry and made it to San Angelo. We had a great Mexican food meal at Fuentes Cafe downtown. It was already dark and getting late so we decided to go to Spring Creek Marina and RV Park where hubby and I had stayed this past August. We pulled Kiki up to the office and it was closed. They had put out a sheet with available spaces and we went in search of one. 
 We slept well in Kiki. Hubby and I slept in the bed and daughter and little Camp slept on the seat behind the driver's side that becomes a twin bed. Little Camp was so happy to be out of his carrier and didn't even make a peep all night long! He's a little doll!
 Next morning by the time we all took our showers and ate some cereal it was after 9 am. So we unhooked Kiki and went back to the office to pay. They were not open! We needed to hit the road so hubby left his card and we called the office a little later on down the road. The man was so nice and told us since we were so honest we didn't need to pay anything! Merry Christmas! :)
There's still very kind folks in this world, y'all!
 We had to take a little time to drive around Austin. Our daughter met her hubby at UT while living there so another tour was in order to spy old haunts.
 Austin was hustlin' and bustlin'! 
We were making great time in Kiki until we got to Houston. Interstate 10 was shut down but we didn't realize it until we where knee deep in traffic. We stayed on that stupid I-10 for almost 3 hours!! 
Needless to say we made it home and all fell into bed.
I have a few more little posts to share with you soon.

Keep traveling and don't get stuck in traffic,
Shelia ;)

2 comments:

  1. It was a great way to travel in Kiki for all of you together and then to be able to stop and sleep! Glad you made it there and back safely!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture of you, Camp and hubby. That one should be displayed in a frame.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.