Saturday, August 17, 2013

Texas Hill Country


I thought I'd share another little trip in Kiki with you. 
Now Texas is a very big state and we keep exploring campgrounds.
In my last post we had traveled to San Angelo and this was the last leg of that trip.
 If you're familiar with the Texas Hill Country, you know how pretty it can be.
We decided to take Kiki to Kerrville and found this nice park ~ the Guadalupe River RV Resort.
We stayed two nights and with our Good Sam's discount it cost around $35 a night with electricity, water, sewer, wifi and cable.
 There goes Mr. Precious walking into the entrance.
Again, it was HOT here!
 This was a very nice campground. So clean and all kinds on amenities.





 There were two swimming pools, a hot tub, little store, club house and laundry facilities.
This was the first time I had ever used the laundry at a campground and it was quite fun.
Doesn't take much to humor me. Well, I didn't bring any laundry detergent but the store sold little 'one load' boxes and dryer sheets for .99 a box.  It cost $1.25 to wash and $1.25 to dry. I'm thinking I should start saving my little quarters to take along on our trips.

 Our spot was #34 underneath the oak trees. While Mr. Precious is setting up, let me take you on a little tour. It is my job after all to snap pictures. :)

 There were nice furnished cabins you could rent and a lovely little playground
 Down the hill from our spot were wonderful walking trails and little pieces of the Guadalupe River.
This is the upper river and it's smaller and swampier looking.
 This snap was pretty but really dirty looking so I enhanced the colors for you.
 Little squirrels were everywhere.
 Chloe Dawn, she's fuzzy here because she wouldn't stand still, loved taking walks down by the river exploring. She is a city girl, after all! :)
I have to tell you, the one time I didn't take my camera with me I saw a herd of deer!
Honey, I'm telling you! There was a buck with antlers at least two feet high and mamas and babies!
They saw me coming and they froze with their tall necks in the air. Then they started to run off to cross the river. As they ran single file, I counted 20! I couldn't believe it and I'm still kicking myself for not taking my camera! You live and learn.

Well, looks like Mr. Precious has us all set up.
 We just bought these little lawn chairs at WalMart and were so excited to get to use them.
 So excited, we forgot to cut the tags off! ;)
We did sit out in the mornings under the trees and watch the squirrels and it was quite nice.
 Another first for me! I had never used the gas burners in Kiki's kitchen before and this time I bit the bullet and cooked away. I tried to cook as much as I could and see what all I could do.
There is no oven but we have a microwave to heat stuff up in. As you can see, this was breakfast and I was frying up those little link sausages again. They just taste so good in the mornings. We don't do this at home so it's a treat to us. I scrambled eggs. I brought a pan big enough so I could boil some corn. It's so good right now. I did some preparing at home. I shucked and broke the ears in half and put them in zip lock bags so I would just have to toss them in the water to boil. I washed and cut up lettuce and put it in a zip lock too. I had heard about the germs with the precut lettuce in bags.
The only thing I'm missing is lots of ice. I drink tea or Dr. Pepper all day and I love ice.
 It's almost dark and Mr. Precious walked outside and took a few snaps. That's the window over the kitchen area and the pink is me!
 He caught me doing the dishes. See I'm putting down the little sink cover as this becomes our storage spot at night for our bathroom things - toothpaste and toothbrushes, glasses, soaps and lotions.
I'm talking small here.
Oh, I wanted to tell you something we will never do again. As you know, Kiki is 'our wheels'. If we need to leave the camp we have to unhook everything and drive where ever. Well, I had cooked as I told you and we were running out of the real food. Mr. Precious had seen a busy little restaurant across the highway from the campground and said we could just cross the highway, Interstate 10.
We got out there and cars were whizzing by at 70 to 80 miles an hour. Mr. Precious is a runner but I can't run! I have arthritis in my knees. So we make it to the turn lane and cars are whizzing by us now on both sides! You talk about scary. I was praying my tiny head off for God to protect us. He did, we ate, it was good and we crossed the interstate to get back to the RV campgrounds. No, no Nannette! Never again will we cross an interstate!
 The next morning after her walk, Chloe Dawn was raring to go ahead. She hopped up in her little seat and was waiting anxiously. What a little doll.
Well, bye bye to Kerrville and yes, we loved this park, recommend it and would come back. Next time I'd bring a bathing suit and my own laundry detergent and would take my camera with me at all times! :)

Til next time,
Shelia ;)

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely campground. I remember visiting the laundrymat as a child when mama's washer would be out of order....I thought those vending machines with the tiny detergents were so cute! I know Chloe Dawn loved all the scenery. Too bad you didn't get a photo of the deer. We've seen one deer in our backyard here, so far. I had always cooked on electric stove until the house we shared with mother. After I got over the "fear" of using gas/propane, I liked it better! We treated ourselves to some sausage links this a.m., too! Do you rest ok away from home??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a really nice place to stay! Lots of amenities and the grounds are very pleasant, for sure. I love the twisted bark on the tree (the one on the left)in the picture with the squirrel. I bet CD is really having a ball too!

    Having this blog is such a great idea Shelia and it really makes the perfect travel journal! So glad the interstate crossing turned out as it did! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a lovely campsite! Oh no, do not cross Interstate on foot...oh my goodness~~~~~scary! I can't run either! Glad you made it ok and got to eat!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to comment on.... You find the nicest campgrounds.... I used to stash quarters in a small coffee can for the laundry rooms.... I love your flowered chairs.... Have you considered getting a toaster oven? I loved mine and used it constantly in our camper. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice campground Sheila. We toured TX for five weeks the first year we retired in our 5th wheel travel trailer and loved it. We have one of those soap holders on a hanger that we use to store quarters for laundry at campgrounds. Our little Pleasure Way has two propane stove burners and a microwave/convection oven. I haven't used the convection oven yet but it's nice to know it's available. We just returned from a Campout with my Hubby's brothers in western PA. I'll be posting about it soon. Enjoy traveling with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Sheila ... so happy to see you visited our home town, Kerrville, Texas. August is likely not the best time of the year to enjoy our beautiful town. You chose the perfect camp ground and a good restaurant even though the road was a little scary to cross. Our Guadalupe river is beautiful, but we are in a terrible drought right now and not looking the best. Hope you can come back in the Spring when all the wild flowers are blooming or in the Fall. Happy traveling.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Sheila ... so happy to see you visited our home town, Kerrville, Texas. August is likely not the best time of the year to enjoy our beautiful town. You chose the perfect camp ground and a good restaurant even though the road was a little scary to cross. Our Guadalupe river is beautiful, but we are in a terrible drought right now and not looking the best. Hope you can come back in the Spring when all the wild flowers are blooming or in the Fall. Happy traveling.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Shelia, i got place and information about texas hill country. will go there.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.