Friday, July 12, 2013

Off to Austin and Making Breakfast

Well, I'm so excited to tell you've we've taken another little short trip in Kiki.
This time we headed to Austin, the capitol of Texas

 You can see Mr. Precious parked illegally for me and I hopped out of Kiki and ran far enough away to snap a picture of our beautiful capitol building in the background! :)
We don't ordinarily break the law but this was important!
We drove Kiki all around downtown Austin and she handled like a charm!
 We didn't have a clue where to go so I got on the IPad and this place popped up.
La Hacienda RV Resort and Cabins.
 As you can see it was all Texasy and UT proud! So cute.
The check in was pretty fast and the folks were nice.
 Here's a peep at some of the parking spots.
 And the little cabins! They were so cute and spread out among the RV spots.
They looked like little shot gun houses. Different sizes and costs.

 This part of Texas has the most beautiful live oak trees.

 Here's where we parked Kiki. I do believe she was the smallest RV or camper there.
Some folks were giving us some strange looks. :) We got everything set up and were excited that we had internet service and cable TV. Well, we're so new to this and didn't realize we needed our own cable to hook up to have the channels. They even had a small RV store but no cables. They should change that, I think. Anyway, a guy gave us a cable someone had left behind but it didn't work. That's probably why they left it! :)  I got signed on the internet and was trying to look at a few blogs and poof! it was gone and I couldn't get connected again. I wasn't happy. 
You know how hard it is to live without the internet. :)
This was a nice park but I don't think we'll ever come back. It had great reviews but summertime in Austin is way toooooooooooooooo hot. Maybe the fall or springtime would be better. 
We had paid for two nights but only stayed one and they don't give your money back if you change your minds. We didn't care though.
Okay, come on in and let me show you what I made for Kiki.
 Am I silly or what? I saw this darling little RV on Pinterest, I think, and copied it, fiddled with it and made it fit Kiki.

It was a Valentine card and I put our names in the hearts and Kiki's name on the RV. I poked it on the metal part that is above the burner. Thought it turned out cute so I wanted to show it to you.

 Now the excitement begins! :)
See this little egg keeper? I had to have it. Got it at Walmart for less than $3. 
I wanted eggs in Kiki and I would make breakfast.
Camping food.
 Got 6 Texas Best eggs. Aren't they so cute?
 Bought some little sausages to cook up and the coffee was ready for Mr. Precious.
 Look at this little electric skillet! It's just 7" and I was so excited to find it thinking it would be just perfect for us and would hold just the right amount of stuff when I wanted to cook something.
As you can see it did a great job holding the sausage links.
 Y'all, I was going to town. Sausages were frying, butter was softening, bread was out, and the paper plates. I know! I bought pretty melamine dishes to use but our little faucet in the kitchen sink has a leak and we have to get it fixed and it was too hard to keep the water dried up. I had to wash the dishes in the tiny bathroom sink and somehow that just didn't seem right to me. 
So...paper plates it was.
 Here I'm making 'dirty' scrambled eggs because the darling little electric skillet made the sausages stick and I was having too much trouble getting the 'cooked on' off so I just tossed the beaten eggs into the skillet anyway. So, dirty eggs. But, hey! 
They did taste yummy with some sausage grease on them.
 Breakfast is served ~ sausage links, buttered bread, dirty eggs on paper plates with cute cheap inexpensive forks. Camping food.
Well, you live and learn. Look at that skillet after I scrambled the eggs! 
Nasty! I tell you plumb nasty! 
I didn't use the gas burners but the next time I cook in Kiki I will! I'll just poke in a fry pan and sauce pan from home and go to town. 
Well, even though things weren't as smooth as I would have loved them to be, all in all it was a nice trip. But hot, y'all! Hot Hot Hot!

Don't laugh at me, I'm learning and I do like things to be perfect. 
Don't you? That's not too much to ask, is it? I'm just kidding.
So until the next time.

Keep the magic,
Shelia :)

9 comments:

  1. Shelia- Sadly you and I have the same disease...that "I want it perfect" bug. I don't think it ever really gets cured! Looks like you had fun and it is kind of like playing house, isn't it? We lived aboard a boat for three summers in a row and I had a decent galley kitchen that I loved to cook in. There are bread boxes made just for storing bread in an rv/boat and they hold a small loaf. They stow easily and keep the bread nicely. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little valentine for Kiki!! So cute! You will have so much fun finding cute 'little' things for her. Sorry the little skillet didn't work out so well, I was thinking it was so darn cute! Still breakfast looked yummy! I have heard everyone saying how hot Texas has been this year cause we have all the rain here in Georgia!!! Enjoy and keep on campin!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetheart - you are learning so much!!

    Get yourself an electric skillet. We had one in our camper and I used it all the time - pancakes, French toast, grilled cheese, bacon, eggs. I used it a lot! Pick one up at Kohls when you get that memory foam mattress topper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are doing great for newbie RVers. I certainly would not know how to hook anything up! Or even park the RV! I am enjoying reading about your learning experiences. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are doing great. I would love to give it a try, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelia,
    "Mr. Ed" loves to go "camping". . .me, NOT so much.
    The main reason we had the camper travel trailer years ago.
    I told him, "A girls gotta' plug in her blow dryer and wash the dishes!!!"
    You'll get it all "just perfect", soon!!!
    Take a clue from Note Songs. . .practice makes more nearly perfect. . .
    so my music instruction and tutor used to say!!!
    Happy RVing!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shelia, love your adventurous fun trip. I'm enjoying looking at each and every pictures, lovely scenery, your DIY for kiki is so cute and adorable. Off course I love your little kitchen and your breakfast is delicious. Practice makes perfect, but anyway as long as you and yours enjoy it....who cares!

    Have a lovely week ahead, regards. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hysterical! I was reading it to my husband, and we were both laughing. I told him I was curious to see how you do with camping because you take some nice trips in comfort, and this -- well... I myself prefer camping at the Hilton!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're venturing out with Kiki. We live in our RV's and learn what works for us and what's not such a good thing! I have the little egg keeper and I use it all the time. I'll get one for Daffodil, too. They take the stress out of storing eggs in an RV or trailer. Sorry your cute, little fry pan didn't work out so well. It's cute but I love using my cast iron skillet in my trailer. Flavor and ease - that's what I enjoy!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by and would love for you to comment so I'll know you've been to see me. I'll do my very best to respond to your comments too.